Thursday, March 22, 2007

My sister's name is Georgia

Sprinting: Hazardous to your health

I hope everyone had a fantastic St. Paddy's day. I know I did. In all seriousness it was my most sober to date (since college at least) and not exceptionally interesting. I ended up doing what I expected; drinking a lot of Harp and talking with friends. But I did haev one awesome screw up, which occured around 10:30pm during the walk back to our car so we could go to the next bar. My friend Timmy, god damn him, decided to challenge me to a race in the street. He was far more intoxicated than I was, but you wouldn't know it due to my terrible footwork. Mygirlfriend refused to take part in egging us on, so after we lined up and demanded a "ready, set..." she walked the other way. That, in turn, led to Timmy immediately screaming "GO!" and taking off at lightning speed. Now I used to be damn quick, but my weight and dress shoes apparently did not make for a winning combination, and after a few lunges trying to keep up I got tripped up and ate it, headfirst, into the pavement. I still have wounds of my hands from where they dug into the ground. That was humiliating, yet probably the best St. Paddy's day story I have to tell as of yet. But anyway, to the aforementioned topic of conversation....









If anybody loves Georgia, I do. My father went to Georgia and worked there. My mother went to grad school there and worked there. My mother's ex-husband who was aroung for the majority of my adolescence went to school there. I was raised with a bulldawg in my crib, and the first phrase anyone remembers me saying is "Too hell wid jojo teck." The title of this blog is true. I seriously have it in my blood, which is why I am pissed off at all of my friends down here who think that I'm a sellout.





Recently I got into a heated debate, almost a fight, with a friend who made fun of my alliance to my team. I was showing my excitement for G-day weeknd, and flaunting my cheap plane tickets when he interupted with, "Dude, you didn't even go there. Why would you care?" It's a funny question that I've been asked many times, and it's a bit hard to explain. He's right, in a sense. I went to Florida State, a school that has fans equally as ravenous and intense as Georgia does, and I should be a Seminole by all means. But what most people don't give me credit for is that I tried. I REALLY TRIED. My freshman year I went to every home game, threw parties, and joined in the festivities. I cheered my guts out. Now it might have been that my tenure was the entirety of the Chris Rix era, and it might have been Bowden's growing senility, but at the end of that season I had a bad taste in my mouth. A bad taste that could only be cured by Georgia.





I don't hate Florida State Football, in fact I cheer for them always, unless of course it is this scenario:







Where have all the merry-Musas gone?


I think when it comes down to it, when you are engrained with a certain standard in your head you can't outgrow it. It is always a part of you. I'm fortunate that my upbringing brought me to the bulldawgs, while my girlfriend's brought her to the Vols. I think I came out better, and I look terrible in orange (but then again, so does everyone.) I just say lay off the criticizm for loving the team you love. I have much more pathetic reasons for liking teams like the Sacramento Kings, but no one gives me a hard time about THAT. I'm just a product of my environment, and after seeing many other schools and teams I am thankful for the one that I have.

On a closing note, my girlfriend once told me she would never cheer for Georgia. This is usually the point where you either jet or sign a prenuptual immediately, but I came back with a "you wanna bet?" We had plans to go to the Cocktail Party, and she knew it, and even though I spent WAY too much money on the tickets she was convinced she wouldn't enjoy it. Halfway into the third, when Matty threw his TD pass I heard, among the roar, my girlfriend say "YEA- ......." That said it all for me. I threw her a knowing glance, and eyes narrowed. I'm thinking she's never betting multiple sexual favors ever again.

No comments: